1. you do not have to listen to me. I am one person and my word is not law or scripture.
2. be skeptical of any quote or passage that tells you what a writer should be or how a writer should typically act. we are all different and our words come to us how and when they come to us.
3. you don’t have to write when you’re in pain. some people need to lick their wounds without having anyone know about it.
4. you don’t have to be quiet or like coffee to be a writer.
5. when the words don’t come, they don’t come. you are allowed to take a nap or see your friends. you are allowed to be mindless and young.
6. you are allowed to be stupid.
7. you don’t have to write about the people who have broken your heart. it is not required. sometimes, love lost is a secret. sometimes, it is so private, so painful, you don’t even want your hands to remember.
8. you can be happy and be a writer. you are allowed to have normal sleeping patterns. you are allowed to have a heart that floats and doesn’t sink.
9. it does not matter why you write. be selfish. be selfless. make it up.
10. there are stories everywhere, and there is magic in being able to write them down, however we can.
11. be magnificent. it is as easy as breathing. it is as easy as putting pen to paper."